Detangling your natural hair can be super frustrating [and that is putting it kindly].
However, pain-free detangling is possible and requires proper planning, use of the right techniques and adoration from sensitive scalps.
The absolute challenge lies with ridding yourself of old thoughts that appear as solutions. You know you've had several. They sound like this:
- “Where is the scissors?”
- “I need to speed-dial my stylist for a relaxer ASAP!”
- “Would they notice the middle if I pull it all together in one.”
- “I am not doing this again, not until …three months have passed.”
- “How do you untangle curly hair?”
- “Why did I go natural!” [Don’t choose this one ;-) ]
Wait. wait. wait. We have great news. Detangling natural hair is a simple and rewarding skill that anyone with natural curls or afro-textured hair can learn. That's what this post intends to teach you.
[Bonus, Felicia Leatherwood Detangler Brush Review]
What Defines Being Natural?
Firstly, according to Merrian-Webster Dictionary, 'Natural' means
Firstly, according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, ‘Natural’ means Firstly, according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, ‘Natural’ means Firstly, according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, ‘Natural’ means
a. closely resembling an original: true to nature b. marked by easy simplicity and freedom from artificiality, c. having a form or appearance found in nature. –natural hair -
1. Existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind. 2. of or in agreement with the character or makeup of, or circumstances surrounding, someone or something.
Blogger, Rayna of Happy Curl, Happy Girl defined being natural as:
…[Y]ou do not have any chemical on or in your hair to alter its natural curl pattern, For example: Relaxers perms, and texturizers are chemicals applied to the hair to change a person’s natural hair pattern. A relaxer is a chemical that straightens the hair and alters the natural hair texture.
There is a liberation associated with letting go of perms, weaves, and wigs and baring one’s true self, as nature intended. People also tend to connect with their cultural identity and self-esteem […] ‘Going Natural’ has been shown to produce a great healing affect among men and women, whatever their definition. It symbolizes to many the act of releasing ideals and images that are not achieved naturally, and standing true to one’s self.
What Do You Need to Begin Detangling?
What Are Some Common Benefits of Detangling?
- removes shed hair.
- minimizes frustration
- makes natural hair more manageable to work with and style.
- minimizes breakage
- and aids in hair growth and retention
How do You Create the Best Environment for Detangling?
Secondly, [and this is major] always check your emotions. It is the worst feeling knowing that you spend three to six months protecting and loving your hair only to tear through it because a ‘non-hair situation’ made you upset.
Finally, before you untangle matted hair, get your tools and detangling products together. Every chef preps before cooking. [Yes, it is that serious.] Why shouldn’t you? And as soon as you have gotten it all together-your tools and the perfect environment - please don't have this kind of approach to detangling your hair. It is not dangerous.
Why Finger Detangling is a MUST
Besides my Fingers, What Can I Use to Detangle my Natural Hair Without Ripping It Out?
Announcing Don’t Break the Comb’s NEWEST product offering: Felicia Leatherwood Detangler Brush.
What are Some Benefits of the Detangler Brush?
- Add some peace and quietness to your scalp with one amazing tool.
- Easily detangle damp or soaked matted hair.
- Minimize breakage.
- And keep your growth goals on track for the year.
How do You Use Felicia Leatherwood Detangler Brush?
In this 'How to Better Detangle Natural Hair, Pain-free' post, we answered the following questions
- Why you should detangle your natural hair?
- What defines being natural?
- What do you need to begin detangling?
- What are some common benefits of detangling?
- How do you create the best environment for detangling?
- Why finger-detangling is a must?
And introduced our product offering
- Besides my fingers, what can I use to detangle my natural hair?
- What are some benefits of the detangler brush?
And combined both detangling techniques and tools
- How do you use Felicia Leatherwood detangler brush?
How Should Your Scalp Feel During/After Detangling Your Natural Hair?
Did you find this post helpful? Share it it with a frustrated naturalista or mom who is struggling with her daughter's matted natural hair.
*Click the Link & Purchase Your Felicia Leatherwood Detangler Brush today.